Friday, July 29, 2005

A Beetroot experiment!

I was just cooking some beetroot for our dinner ( as you do! ) and as I had bought some plain fabric that day I was thinking about it ( as you do!) thinking about what I could do with it and then I was struck by a genius thought... I'd dye some in the beetroot water! So I cut abit off and after removing and eating said beetroot, plonked in the fabric left it for a few hours and to my suprise ....nothing, all the colour just rinsed away. Hey ho it was worth a try and has now got me thinking about natural dyes and whether anything I grow at the allotment could double up as fabric dye!?!? Herrmm a little research and I shall have the answers but for now a cold ale and a jolly ole sit down and horrah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shell said...

Hey Crafty Badger! I've tried dying with vegies and stuff with very little success too - I think you need to put salts or something in the mix and do all kinds of things with pulps. I don't know, I gave up trying cause it sounded too complicated for me. but I'd love to see any results you get on your next try.

I've been cruising your blog and love your sock monkey - he looks like a boxer! And that painting you did with all the linework is stunning - very 'now' and pretty as well! I also like the little van stuffy - how adorable!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've had fun at yours!

2:00 am  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

beetroot does work as a dye but I am sure you have to soak it for quite awhile and make sure it is set with salt ( I think )

it makes you wonder though,doesn't it..when you drop beetroot down the front of a white teeshirt, it is stained forever !

12:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home